ACT NOW: Show your support for Automatic Voter Registration
America suffers from disturbingly low voter registration and turnout rates. Almost 50 million eligible people were not even registered to vote in the 2012 election, and another 12 million experienced problems with their registration that kept them from voting.¹ Until America remedies its anemic voter turnout and registration, it cannot be called a true democracy.
Voting rights activists have long known that the proliferation of voter ID laws threatens our democracy by disenfranchising low-income workers, young people, and communities of color. In a growing number of states, people are fighting back.
At CPD Action, we're working across the country to make it easier for millions of Americans to vote. The policy at the core of ensuring full enfranchisement of all citizens is Automatic Voter Registration.
Automatic Voter Registration ensures:
- The government (whether state or federal, depending on the law) adopts the responsibility of registering eligible Americans to vote
- A reduction in state government costs of paper registration systems
- Increased voter participation
- Adding as many as 55 million new voters to the rolls nationwide
- Increased representation of communities of color, youth, and low-income communities
Stand up against right-wing voter disenfranchisement. Sign our petition to support Automatic Voter Registration now!